Daily Archives: 03/25/2017
Albert Square – Manchester
Many of you have asked why we are holding it on April Fool’s Day…
We want our elected officials and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) to realise that they can no longer take the people of Greater Manchester for fools when it comes to their proposals to decommission large amounts of the Greenbelt, as set out in the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework.
Our groups across the Greater Manchester region wish to be part of the discussion, consultation and decision making process. The only fools on this day are the powers that be who still refuse to listen to their communities.
In particular, we want to raise awareness at the rally of:
– The flawed population forecasts the GMCA have based their proposals on;
– The lack of aspiration in their proposals for using brownfield sites and ensuring affordable housing;
– Total lack of consideration for the huge impact the proposals will have on the air quality in Greater Manchester;
– Complete lack of reference to the need for infrastructure such as schools, GP surgeries, roads and public transport their proposals will necessitate.
This will be a family friendly event and we encourage you all to bring your children and grandchildren. This is about their future too. Affordable homes but with the jobs and environment to go with it!
There’s a GREEN theme – shoe laces, t-shirts, ribbons or full on green! Your choice… most importantly, we just need you to attend the rally for 1pm.
We will have prizes for:
– Best group banner
– Best individual sign
– Best costume ‘nature inspired’ – children under 7
– Best costume 7 – 16 year olds.
Look forward to seeing you all on 1st April.”
Twitter accounts for each Greenbelt group
• Rally group hashtags are #GMSF #Greenbelt
The hashtags can be used on both facebook and twitter and we would love people to get using them whether posting, sharing, quoting or retweeting, this will help us to trend and really get us noticed.
Gordon Tilstone- Chair – SOS Save Our Slattocks